Location: 80 km north of Voisey's Bay, Labrador
- Voisey's Bay is one of the worlds most significant nickel/copper/cobalt mines. It's discovery in the 1990s started a major staking rush which subsequnetly died out due to a decline in nickel prices.
- Northern’s South Okak property had some of the best drill holes outside of the Voisey’s Bay deposits. Advances in geological knowledge have since demonstrated that the two areas have important similarities.
- Northern has the benefit of a substantial amount of historical information, particularily high-resolution airborne geophysics, which can now be evaluated using modern 3D modelling techniques.
- These advances in geological knowledge and geophysical data interpretation have already lead to the identification of a number of targets.
- Detailed data compilation and analysis is underway and will be combined with the results of this summer's mapping, sampling and geophysical surveying programs to identify the highest priority targets.
The South Okak property is located along the main structural break that hosts the high grade Voisey's Bay mine. During the 1990’s exploration rush the South Okak area produced some of the best Ni-Cu-Co drill intervals outside of the Voisey's Bay deposits. They are contained within a large, lower grade disseminated halo which also exists at South Okak but remains largely unexplored.
In June 2021 Northern Graphite entered into an option agreement to earn up to an 80 per cent interest in the 6,350 hectare South Okak Ni-Cu-Co project. The area has been consolidated into one exploration license for the first time and covers the most prospective ground. Previous exploration of the South Okak property discovered several areas containing significant intervals of disseminated low-grade Ni-Cu-Co mineralization. Using historical data, advances in geophysical data processing including 3D modelling, and with a much better understanding of the Voisey's Bay geological controls, a number of highly prospective targets have already been identified.
In August 2021 Northern increased its land position to 473 claims covering a total of 11,825 hectares.
For more information on this area and the significance of the Voisey’s Bay deposit you can read The Voisey’s Bay Story here.